Buffalo Router Inc. has provided high-quality routers from all times. MELCO Group of companies is now operating Buffalo brand. The Buffalo GN router is from the WCR series. The Buffalo WCR-GN Router comes with Wifi Bands 2.4 GHz and has 16Mbs of RAM and operates at speeds up to 300 Mbps. The router comes with one WAN port and 4 Ethernet ports.
The Buffalo WCR-GN is a great router that can be used for high-speed gaming. You can even set features like web-based filtering and the ability to set parental controls.
In this article, you will find the steps to login and issues faced by the users while logging in. Users from the US & Canada can dial the buffalo customer support 1888-274-1968 and get their issues fixed.
Before trying to login into this router you must make sure that you are equipped with the following things:
- It is recommended to keep the router box as it contains the default username and password which will help you to login
- You have a system properly connected to the router where you can access the web over a browser(Avoid using Tablet or Smartphone to login)
Steps to Login to Buffalo WCR-GN Router
Step 1: Enter URL
The first thing that you will require to login is the IP address of your router. Open any local browser on your system and enter the login IP address 192.168.11.1 for your router in the URL box and hit enter.
You can simply copy-paste this address http://192.168.11.1
NOTE: Make sure that you are properly connected to your home wifi while doing this step. Also, enter the IP address with utmost care as if any mistake occurs while typing will cause an error.
Step 2: Enter the Login Details
As you enter the correct IP address of your router you will be prompted with a login page asking your username and password.
Since you are entering the router settings, you will have to enter the default username and password in case you are logging in for the first time or haven’t changed the default credentials.
You can find the default login details on the box of your router model or the default credentials that can be used are:
- Default Username: root
- Default Password: blank
Note: The above combination is found to be successful in 70% of the cases. If you have changed the default details and didn’t remember the login details then you need to reset the router. Just press-and-hold reset button for 15 seconds using a sharp object.
Step 3: Change the Buffalo WCR-GN Login Details
Only changing SSID doesn’t provide you all security you also need to change the default username and password so that your router becomes more secure from unknown attempts.
As you will login you will be directed to the dashboard of the router where you have to find the option of change username and password.
Following are the tips to change the default login details:
Tips to change your username and password:
- The password should be a mixture of alphanumeric characters which includes both numbers and alphabets along with some special characters.
- The length of the password should be from 8 to16 characters, complex yet easy to remember
- Username should be user-friendly and simple
- Username and password changed for Huawei router needs to be written down somewhere for future use
Step 4: Change SSID for Buffalo router
SSID is called a Service Set Identifier. SSID is basically the name of the network that is visible to you whenever you open the network tab for connecting to wi-fi. The name or SSID that appears is set as the brand name which manufactures the router by default.
It is highly recommended to change the default SSID as if it is left unchanged anyone can guess the default details and enter router settings. In this case, you may see the SSID as Buffalo-G-XXXX or Buffalo-A-XXXX.
Tips for an SSID name:
- Make it short and simple yet hard to guess
- Don’t make it very fancy as it may backfire
- Don’t use any personal information to set the name of your router as it can easily be guessed
Step 5: Secure WCR-GN router settings
When you enter correct login details you will be directed to the default gateway of the router where you will find various setting options, search for the encryption settings of your network. It is suggested that you should set the encryption to WPA2-PSK which is the current industry standard. This ensures that your router will operate at the best security level possible.
1) Buffalo WCR-GN Password Doesn’t Work
In case you are logging in for the first time then the default password is the word “admin”. You can also find the default login credentials on the box of your router. In case it doesn’t work then most probably you might have changed the default password. In this case, go for the reset option. For resetting, a press-and-hold reset button for 30 seconds using a pointed object.
2) Forgot Password to WCR-GN Router
First of all, try hard to remember but if you can’t remember then you may try to contact the ISP or Xfinity router forums and look for a different set of default password to be used. If nothing works, go for the reset option and then use the default login details to log in. Make sure that whenever you change password you keep a note of it for future use.
3) How to Reset the Buffalo Router To Default Settings
For resetting the router to default settings you have to reset the router which is quite simple. Just press and hold the reset button for 15 seconds using a pointed object like a pin or a clip. After resetting, your settings will be restored to default.
You can follow the below-given steps to reset your router:
- When the router is power on, press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds using a paper clip or pointed object
- Unplug the power of the router while holding the reset button pressed and hold the reset button for 30 seconds
- Turn on the power while still holding the reset button to the unit again and hold for another 30 seconds.